Good morning. This text is an on-site model of our FirstFT publication. Signal as much as our Asia, Europe/Africa or Americas version to get it despatched straight to your inbox each weekday morning
China’s economic system exceeded forecasts to increase 4.5 per cent yr on yr within the first quarter, as robust development in exports and infrastructure funding in addition to a rebound in retail consumption and property costs drove a restoration.
The January-March determine adopted efforts by Beijing to revive enterprise confidence broken by pandemic controls final yr and abrupt coverage modifications, however a nationwide Covid-19 outbreak in the beginning of this yr held again the expansion price from the federal government’s full-year goal of 5 per cent.
Analysts polled by Bloomberg had forecast gross home product to rise by 4 per cent. Economists anticipate development to select up because the yr progresses. “Positively, the restoration’s on monitor,” mentioned Tao Wang, UBS’s chief China economist. “The momentum initially of the yr was stronger than anticipated.”
Xi Jinping, who formally launched into an unprecedented third time period as China’s president final month, is eager to revive financial development. Gross home product expanded simply 3 per cent final yr, lacking the official goal of 5.5 per cent which was already the bottom in many years.
Listed here are two extra reads on the world’s second-largest economic system and the way corporations are coping with rising tensions between Beijing and the west.
Here’s what else I will probably be conserving tabs on at present:
Dominion vs Fox: The defamation trial towards Fox Information begins after it was delayed yesterday following a report of last-minute settlement talks.
Outcomes: Easyjet, Netflix, Financial institution of America, Goldman Sachs, Lockheed Martin, Johnson & Johnson and Ericsson report.
WSJ reporter: Evan Gershkovich’s attorneys are set to attraction towards his detention in Russia on costs of espionage.
Be a part of award-winning FT columnist Stephen Bush and colleagues on-line tomorrow as they sort out your questions within the run-up to the UK’s 2024 election. Register right here free of charge.
5 extra high tales
1. US teams Charles Schwab, State Avenue and M&T suffered virtually $60bn in mixed financial institution deposit outflows within the first quarter. The deposit flight has been turbocharged by final month’s banking sector turmoil and indicators of latest competitors to conventional banks. Learn the complete story.
2. EY has informed employees it should lower 3,000 jobs within the US to remove “overcapacity”, with the axe primarily falling on its consulting arm. The redundancies, introduced lower than per week after the collapse of plans to separate the Large 4 agency, account for about 5 per cent of EY’s US workforce.
3. One of many US’s greatest public pension plans is ready to put in writing down its $52bn property portfolio within the newest signal that increased rates of interest and the latest banking turmoil are inflicting ache within the sector. The chief funding officer of the California State Academics’ Retirement System speaks to the FT.
4. Spain and Portugal are embracing public housing after years of under-investment as the 2 international locations search an answer to hovering property costs which have far outpaced wage development. Right here’s how the international locations plan to fund tens of 1000’s of latest houses.
5. The EU will sabotage its inexperienced transition if it bans so-called endlessly chemical substances, the chief of Chemours, one of many world’s main chemical corporations, has warned. The business argues that fluoropolymers, a category of artificial long-lasting chemical substances, are important to many inexperienced applied sciences.
The Large Learn
“Farmers are asking, ‘Why does Brussels hate us?’,” mentioned one Belgian member of the European parliament. The EU is pushing for a greener agricultural sector to assist meet its local weather targets. However the business’s well-funded foyer with shut hyperlinks to politicians is hitting again on insurance policies which will have an effect on the survival of many farmers, posing a danger to the bloc’s web zero targets.
We’re additionally studying . . .
Migrant staff: Labour shortages and demographic pressures are fuelling a contest between international locations to entice expert folks, writes Sarah O’Connor.
Sudan battle: An influence battle within the nation might blow up right into a civil struggle. Who’re the clashing navy rivals now threatening safety throughout east Africa?
Bunged-up Britain: Gummed-up, process-heavy regulation is stopping UK companies throughout sectors from shifting quick, writes Helen Thomas.
Chart of the day
Buyers are betting on additional weak spot within the US greenback after its latest declines, because the fallout from final month’s banking disaster limits how far the Federal Reserve can elevate rates of interest and US buyers hunt abroad for returns.
Take a break from the information
We lately requested FT readers to share their favorite city operating routes. Responses got here in from all around the world, extolling the thrill of pounding the pavement in cities from Athens to Zurich. Discover your subsequent operating route.
Extra contributions by Gordon Smith and Emily Goldberg
Advisable newsletters for you
Asset Administration — Discover out the within story of the movers and shakers behind a multi-trillion-dollar business. Enroll right here
The Week Forward — Begin each week with a preview of what’s on the agenda. Enroll right here
Thanks for studying and keep in mind you may add FirstFT to myFT. You too can elect to obtain a FirstFT push notification each morning on the app. Ship your suggestions and suggestions to [email protected]